Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Road Trip - My thoughts

I went on a road trip during labour day weekend...and several thoughts flashed in front of my eyes...basically i revisited my life during 3100 mile trip...to start off After first two hundred miles i wasn't sure If I'm gonna make it to Phoenix...so instead of thinking about the destination...I decided I will just enjoy the journey. The west part of Texas is beautiful and scary at the same time...beautiful for its mountains and steep roads....scary because there was literally nothing for few hundred miles..so If your car breaks down you are screwed...thanks to my Honda it never left me in middle of nowhere...

Things have been going tough for me quite a while...so I wanted to get away for few days...I had to refresh myself...so that i can comeback stronger and face the situation....and I think this break really helped me...I learnt quite a few things on how to handle and plan in life...just like driving to a farther place...it all starts with small steps...just decide where you want to go and keep going until u reach your destination...ignore all the obstacles that u might face on your way...after around 800 miles my neck and shoulders started hurting...and I wasn't sure If would be able to drive the last 300 miles...I kept going...taking breaks every 100 miles...finally I reached Phoenix after 16hr 45 min of nonstop driving from Houston...I wasn't tired or anything but there was bit of pain on my neck and shoulders...

I have realized that long drives certainly helps me in rejuvenating my inner self and refresh my believes and I feel stronger after the trip...I feel that I have achieved something...its sort of winning a lottery or something like completing a marathon...the sense of joy or feeling that u have cannot be expressed in words...I don't know how many of you like driving...but I certainly do...even though I have low-back problem (guess I'm getting old... :-) )...I still feel its worth every bit of pain...

The second part of the trip was from Phoenix to LA...I had my friend giving me company from Phoenix...and during this second part..we were listening to songs, talking about old movies, how India changed in 5 years (esp. Hyderabad), relationships, marriage and how important it is at this point of our lives (late 20's and early30's) we need to be with our friends and families...we both have been in US for a while and most of our friends got married or in a relationship and the sense of feeling alone hits you once in a while...sometimes during the low phases of life its very tough to motivate yourself and do things that you used to do when things were going good....we listen to lot of Rafi Saab and kishore songs...especially Rafi and shammi kapoor combination...It was great driving and listening to these songs and sing them out loud...when we reached LA...my mind set was totally changed....I felt like "Life is not bad, It can be fun.." I mean sometime u live for these moments..no matter how much you write or talk about it...the experience always stays with you...

So everyone out there who are busy with your lives, work and family...do youself a favour take break and go on a road trip... and rediscover your life....

Adios...untill next time...



8 comments:

Ram Suri said...

HEy da,

you need not be bold to sing my songs aloud (Kishore).... :) good that you had a real refreshing and road experience. Enjoy every momemnt and keep everyone posted. Nice message to all. Kepp rocking... cheers
Ram

Yemula Pradeep said...

Hey Varun!!!! Congratulations for your road trip. Interesting and insipiring to read. Keep doing these fun things like road trips and keep blogging about it. :)

NATIONAL HIGHWAY said...

yer right my friend..road trips often give you time to introspect...especially when you drive all by urself.

Singing out loud is fun too..imagine you going on a long, lonely road and suddenly one of your fav song plays..you go crazzyy...i used to do that with a friend of mine and our song was "pyar hamein kiss mod pe le aaya"

anywz..lets do this in India too...next time you come, we should just escape..POOF

varun said...

@Everyone

Thanks guys, I'm glad y'all liked it...I will probably do another road trip(this time probably towards east coast) when "Mr.Debo-Nair" (you know who im talking about) is here...

@Amit
We were actually singing that song out so loud...it was fun...Let's definetly plan something In India...BTW Hows "My dream car, My Sweet Heart, My True Love" You taking good care of it ??

NATIONAL HIGHWAY said...

LOL!!!The car is all banged up....its a long story..will tell you once i get hold of you on gtalk...

M.A.I.L said...

I have realized that long drives certainly helps me in rejuvenating my inner self and refresh my believes and I feel stronger after the trip...I feel that I have achieved something...
>> DITTO
I LOVE DRIVING and can drive or hours together and I have always felt that how-much-ever low I would be feeling before I start the trip, once I hit the road (have never done such long drives though.. max was 8 hours drive) I feel free.. free of all worries and thoughts and just enjoy the road, the passing terrains and yeah.. songs :)

M.A.I.L said...

I have realized that long drives certainly helps me in rejuvenating my inner self and refresh my believes and I feel stronger after the trip...I feel that I have achieved something...
>> DITTO
I LOVE DRIVING and can drive or hours together and I have always felt that how-much-ever low I would be feeling before I start the trip, once I hit the road (have never done such long drives though.. max was 8 hours drive) I feel free.. free of all worries and thoughts and just enjoy the road, the passing terrains and yeah.. songs :)

om said...

Lovely post!!! I hate driving..but being a navigator for someone who has such a cool collection of songs is always fun :-)